Research Fellow, AUT, Sports Science Manager and Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach – Blues Super Rugby franchise
17 Antares Place
Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand (SPRINZ)
PhD (Sport & Exercise Science – Exercise Physiology: The University of Auckland)
BSc 1st Class Honours (Sport & Exercise Science – Exercise Physiology: The University of Auckland)
BSc Double Major (Sport & Exercise Science and Physiology: The University of Auckland)
Memberships and Affiliations
Member of the Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand (SPRINZ)
Since 2008, Dr. Adam Storey has coached and managed various New Zealand weightlifting teams at key pinnacle events including the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games and the 2010 and 2014 Commonwealth Games. During this time, Adam has coached weightlifters to Commonwealth Games medals and his athletes have broken over 250 New Zealand records in competition.
Adam’s specialist background in the area of strength and power conditioning lead to his role with High Performance Sport New Zealand as the Lead Strength and Conditioning Specialist for Athletics New Zealand. In this position he worked directly with 3 x Olympic Games medallist Valerie Adams.
Adam has a keen passion for rugby and he is currently employed by the Blues Super Rugby franchise as the Sports Science Manager and Assistant Trainer.
In addition to his role with the Blues, Adam is a Research Fellow within AUT’s SPRINZ department where he supervises post-graduate research in the areas of strength and conditioning and exercise physiology.
- Acute and chronic adaptations to high-power, high-intensity resistance exercise
- Periodisation methodologies
- Heat acclimation and applied heat stress in strength and power athletes
- Rugby union-related research projects
- Helms, E.R., Byrnes, R., Cooke, D., Haischer M., Carzoli, J., Johnson, T., Cross, M., Cronin, J., Storey, A., Zourdos, M.C. (2018). RPE vs percentage 1RM loading in periodized programs matched for sets and repetitions. Front Physiol [Epub ahead of print]
- Marriner, C. R., Cronin, J. B., Macadam, P., & Storey, A. (2017). Redistributing load using wearable resistance during power clean training improves athletic performance. Eur J Sport Sci, 17(9), 1101-1109.
- Marriner, C. R., Cronin, J. B., Macadam, P., & Storey, A. (2017). Wearable resistance results in increased power output during power clean performance. J. Aust. Strength Cond. [Epub ahead of print]
- Casadio, J. R., Storey, A. G., Merien, F., Kilding, A. E., Cotter, J. D., & Laursen, P. B. (2017). Acute effects of heated resistance exercise in female and male power athletes. Eur J Appl Physiol, 1-12. doi:10.1007/s00421-017-3671-4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Byrnes, R.K., Helms, E.R., Cooke, D.M., Haischer, M.H., Johnson, T.K., Velazquez, J.C., Carzoli,
J.P., Cronin, J.B., Storey, A.G., Zourdos, M.C. (2017) Percentage-based and Autoregulated-
based Resistance Training Loading Produce Similar Lower Body Hypertrophy Outcomes.
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise · May 2017 DOI: 10.1249/01.mss.0000517184.53506.f4
- Cooke, D.M., Helms, E.R., Byrnes, R.K., Haischer, M.H., Johnson, T.K., Velazquez, J.C., Carzoli,
J.P., Cronin, J.B., Storey, A.G., Zourdos, M.C. (2017). Impact of Percentage-based Versus
Autoregulated-based Load Prescription on Maximal Strength. Medicine & Science in Sports &
Exercise 49:1062. DOI: 10.1249/01.mss.0000519920.37316.d7
- Helms, E. R., Cross, M. R., Brown, S. R., Storey, A., Cronin, J., & Zourdos, M. C. (2017). Rating of perceived exertion as a method of volume autoregulation within a periodized program. J Strength Cond Res. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000002032. [Epub ahead of print]
- Glassbrook, D. J., Brown, S. R., Helms, E. R., Duncan, J. S., & Storey, A. G. (2017). The high-bar and low-bar back-squats: A biomechanical analysis. J Strength Cond Res. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000001836. [Epub ahead of print]
- Helms, E. R., Brown, S. R., Cross, M. R., Storey, A., Cronin, J., & Zourdos, M. C. (2017). Self-rated accuracy of rating of perceived exertion-based load prescription in powerlifters. J Strength Cond Res, 31(10), 2938-2943. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000002097
- Glassbrook, D. J., Helms, E. R., Brown, S. R., & Storey, A. G. (2017). A review of the biomechanical differences between the high-bar and low-bar back-squat. J Strength Cond Res, 31(9), 2618-2634.
- Helms, E. R., Storey, A., Cross, M. R., Brown, S. R., Lenetsky, S., Ramsay, H., Dillen, C., & Zourdos, M. C. (2017). RPE and velocity relationships for the back squat, bench press, and deadlift in powerlifters. J Strength Cond Res, 31(2), 292-297.
- Chatterton, S., Zinn, C., Helms, E., Storey, A. (2017) The effect of an 8-week low carbohydrate high
fat (LCHF) diet in sub-elite Olympic weightlifters and powerlifters on strength, body
composition, mental state and adherence: A pilot case-study. J. Aust. Strength Cond. 25(2), 6-
- Helms, E.R., Zourdos, M.C., Storey, A., Cronin, J. (2016). Application of the repetitions in reserve-based rating of perceived exertion scale for resistance training. Strength and Conditioning Journal 38(4), 42-49. doi: 10.1519/SSC.0000000000000218
- Storey, A. G., Birch, N. P., Fan, V., & Smith, H. K. (2016). Stress responses to short-term intensified and reduced training in competitive weightlifters. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 26(1), 29-40. doi: 10.1111/sms.12400.
- Storey, A., & Smith, H. (2012). Unique aspects of competitive weightlifting: performance, training and physiology. Sports Medicine, 42(9), 769-90.
- Storey, A., Wong, S., Smith, H., & Marshall, P. (2012). Divergent muscle functional and architectural responses to two successive high intensity resistance exercise sessions in competitive weightlifters and resistance trained adults. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 112(10), 3629-39. doi: 10.1007/s00421-012-2346-4
- Storey, A. (2017). Total body power exercises. In M. McGuigan (Ed.), National Strength & Conditioning Association: Developing Power (pp. 145-175). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Storey, A., & Smith, H. (2011). Systemic Chemokine, Oxidative Stress and Performance Reponses to
Variations in Training Load in Olympic Weightlifters. Key Presenter at the Medical Sciences
Congress, Queenstown, New Zealand.
- Storey, A., & Smith, H. Storey, A. (2010). Acute Blood Transcriptional Responses to Intense Muscular
Exercise Training in Olympic Weightlifters. Key Presenter at the Queenstown Molecular
Biology Conference, Queenstown, New Zealand.
Invited Panel Member:
- Considerations for the Assessment and Training of Lower Body Power (2013). SPRINZ Strength &
Conditioning Conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Customising Protein and Macronutrient Intake to the Individual Athlete (2012). SPRINZ Strength &
Conditioning Conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Real-Life Examples of Monitoring in NZ Elite Sports (2011). SPRINZ Strength & Conditioning
Conference, Auckland, New Zealand.