Co-Director Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand Professor - Strength & Conditioning
Phone: + 64 9 921 921 x 7523
PhD (Auckland), BEd, MA, DipHighPerformaCoaching, DipPE, Dip Tchg
Memberships and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professorial Position at Edith Cowan University
- Diploma High Performance Coaching (Canada)
- Level IV Accreditation – Rugby (Canada)
- External reviewer for: Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport; Journal of Sports Science; Physical Therapy in Sport; Journal of Applied Biomechanics; Clinical Biomechanics, International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance; European Journal of Applied Physiology
- Strength and conditioning
- Muscle mechanics and physiology
- Sports biomechanics
Strength and Conditioning, and Biomechanics specialty areas:
- Kinematics and kinetics of resistance training
- Movement competency screening
- Development of strength, power, speed, balance and agility
- Eccentric exercise
- Long term athlete development
- Cricket research
- Wearable resistance
John has research interests in human movement/ sport performance research particularly around the strengthening of muscle, these themes span high performance sport to long-term athlete development. John has published over 270 peer-reviewed papers as well three book chapters; 60 invited or keynote presentations at national and international conferences/symposia and over 100 national or international conference presentations. John is currently supervising 16 postgraduate students (15 PhD, 1 Masters). John has consulted to many sports Internationally and Nationally and is currently involved with NZ Cricket.
Current Research Projects
PhD current research projects
- Equipment-related injury prevention initiatives in alpine skiing and snowboarding (with PhD student Brenda Costa-Scorse, NZ).
- Modifying mechanical stiffness to optimise power performance (with PhD student Kim Simperingham, NZ).
- Practical auto-regulation in resistance training (with PhD student Eric Helms, USA).
- Environmental and match factors affecting physical performance in soccer (with PhD student Josh Trewin, NZ).
- Design, construction and validation of eccentric towing device (with PhD student, Farhan Tinwala, NZ).
- Analysis of road racing motorcycle rider performance (with PhD Student Emanuele D’Artibale, Italy).
- Developing sprint ability in youth (with PhD student, Aaron Uthoff, USA)
- Long-term implications of implemented weightlifting development model in youth athletes (with PhD student, Andrew Pichardo, USA)
- The effectiveness of resisted sprinting to improve acceleration in adolescent athletes (with PhD student, Mike Cahill, USA)
- The use of triple and quintuple hops in physical performance profiling (with PhD student, Ant Sharp, NZ)
- The quantification and development of a bilateral and unilateral osteogenic jump-landing program and its chronic effects on bone health in premenopausal women. (with PhD student, Tracey Clissold, NZ)
- The role of axial torque production in shotput and discus performance (with PhD student, Mike Schofield, NZ
- Integrated neuromuscular training for injury prevention in the female athlete (with PhD student Lesley Sommerfield, USA)
- The Effects of Accentuated Tempo Resistance Training on Direct and Indirect Measures of Athletic Performance (with PhD student Dustin Oranchuk, USA)
- Validation and development of a performance test battery to predict push-start performance in elite level bobsleigh (with Masters student, Robert Condliffe, Cardiff Metropolitan University, Wales)
- The validity and inter-unit reliability of a low-cost wearable microsensor to assess fast bowling in cricket (with MSE student, Joey McGrath, NZ)
Peer Reviewed Articles (2016 only):
- Claudino, J. G., Cronin, J., Mezêncio, B., McMaster, D. T., McGuigan, M., Tricoli, V., . . . Serrão, J. C. (2016). The countermovement jump to monitor neuromuscular status: A meta-analysis. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. doi:10.1016/j.jsams.2016.08.011
- Claudino, J. G., Cronin, J. B., Mezêncio, B., Pinho, J. P., Pereira, C., Mochizuki, L., . . . Serrão, J. C. (2016). Autoregulating jump performance to induce functional overreaching. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 30(8), 2242-2249. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000001325
- Contreras, B., Vigotsky, A. D., Schoenfeld, B. J., Beardsley, C., McMaster, D. T., Reyneke, J., & Cronin, J. (2016). Effects of a six-week hip thrust versus front squat resistance training program on performance in adolescent males: A randomized-controlled trial. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000001510
- Cronin, J. B., Sharp, A. P., Stronach, B., Deuchrass, R., Bressel, E., Shackel, D. F., & McMaster, D. T. (2016). Strength and conditioning for throwing in cricket. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 38(6), 1-9. doi:10.1519/SSC.0000000000000254
- Frost, D., Bronson, S., Cronin, J., & Newton, R. (2016). Changes in maximal strength, velocity, and power after 8 weeks of training with pneumatic or free weight resistance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 30(4), 934-944.
- Helms, E. R., Cronin, J., Storey, A., & Zourdos, M. C. (2016). Application of the repetitions in reserve-based rating of perceived exertion scale for resistance training. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 38(4), 42-49. doi:10.1519/SSC.0000000000000218
- Lloyd, R. S., Cronin, J. B., Faigenbaum, A. D., Haff, G. G., Howard, R., Kraemer, W. J., . . . Oliver, J. L. (2016). National Strength and Conditioning Association position statement on long-term athletic development. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 30(6), 1491-1509. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000001387
- Lloyd, R. S., Radnor, J. M., De Ste Croix, M. B. A., Cronin, J. B., & Oliver, J. L. (2016). Changes in sprint and jump performances after traditional, plyometric, and combined resistance training in male youth pre- and post-peak height velocity. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 30(5), 1239-1247. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000001216
- Macadam, P., Cronin, J. B., & Simperingham, K. D. (2016). The effects of wearable resistance training on metabolic, kinematic and kinetic variables during walking, running, sprint running and jumping: A systematic review. Sports Medicine, 1-20. doi:10.1007/s40279-016-0622-x
- Macadam, P., Simperingham, K. D., & Cronin, J. B. (2016). Acute kinematic and kinetic adaptations to wearable resistance during sprint acceleration. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000001596
- McMaster, D. T., Gill, N., Cronin, J., & McGuigan, M. (2016). Force-velocity power assessment in semi-professional rugby union players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 27(6), 1463-1470. doi:10.1519/JSC.0b013e3182a1da46
- Meyers, R. W., Oliver, J. L., Hughes, M. G., Lloyd, R. S., & Cronin, J. B. (2016). The influence of maturation on sprint performance in boys over a 21-month period. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 48(12), 2555-2562. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000001049
- Meyers, R. W., Oliver, J. L., Hughes, M. G., Lloyd, R. S., & Cronin, J. B. (2016). Asymmetry during maximal sprint performance in 11-16 year old boys. Pediatric Exercise Science, 24 pages. doi:10.1123/pes.2016-0018
- Paterson, S., Mcmaster, D. T., & Cronin, J. (2016). Assessing change of direction ability in badminton athletes. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 38(5), 18-30. doi:10.1519/SSC.0000000000000241
- Pearson, S. N., Hume, P., Cronin, J. B., & Slyfield, D. (2016). America’s Cup sailing: Effect of standing arm-cranking (‘grinding’) direction on muscle activity, kinematics, and torque application. Sports, 4(37). doi:10.3390/sports4030037.
- Ross, A., Gill, N., Cronin, J., & Malcata, R. (2016). Defensive and attacking performance indicators in Rugby sevens. International journal of performance Analysis in Sport, 16(2), 569-580. Retrieved from http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/uwic/ujpa/2016/00000016/00000002/art00014
- Simperingham, K. D., Cronin, J. B., & Ross, A. (2016). Advances in sprint acceleration profiling for field-based team-sport athletes: Utility, reliability, validity and limitations. Sports Medicine, 46(11), 1619-1645. doi:10.1007/s40279-016-0508-y
- Stolberg, M., Sharp, A., Comtois, A. S., Lloyd, R. S., Oliver, J. L., & Cronin, J. (2016). Triple and quintuple hops: Utility, reliability, asymmetry, and relationship to performance. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 38(3), 18-25. doi:10.1519/SSC.0000000000000224
- Trewin, J., Meylan, C., Varley, M. C., & Cronin, J. (2016). The match-to-match variation of match-running in elite female soccer. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. doi:10.1016/j.jsams.2017.05.009
- Winwood, P. W., Posthumus, L. R., Cronin, J. B., & Keogh, J. W. L. (2016). THE ACUTE POTENTIATING EFFECTS OF HEAVY SLED PULLS ON SPRINT PERFORMANCE. Journal of Strength and Conditioning research, 30(5), 1248-1254. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000001227
- Zois, J., Sharp, A. P., Talukdar, K., & Cronin, J. (2016). The reliability of a rotational power assessment of the core. Journal of Athletic Enhancement, 5(5), 1-4. doi:10.4172/2324-9080.1000241