Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Phone: (09) 921 999 ext. 7078
Human Potential Centre
17 Antares Place
- 2007-2010 BSc Sports Science (Outdoor Activities), Bangor University, Wales
- 2010-2011 MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology, Bangor University, Wales
- 2013-2017 PhD Thesis entitled: High intensity physical activity for health: can science justify IT? University of Leicester, England
I have always been an outdoorsy active person but, never really having been a competitive athlete, my interest lies with investigating and promoting the benefits of exercise for health and well-being, with the ultimate goal of optimising quality of life. My research to date has focussed on the effects of varying exercise intensity, including high-intensity interval training (HIIT) on outcomes such as body composition, fitness and hormones involved in appetite regulation and diabetes. There are many misconceptions about physical activity and exercise and I aim to communicate to the general public what it actually takes to be fit – it’s not as hard as you think!
Having visited New Zealand in 2012-2013 and fallen in love with the country, soon after completing my PhD I moved with my partner to New Zealand in October 2017 to continue my career. When not working I will usually be found at the beach, in the bush or up a mountain!
SPOR606 Sport, Health and Wellbeing (second year paper)
Current Research Projects
- The State of Play report: Exploring parental attitudes towards risky play and independent mobility
- Neighbourhoods for Active Kids: Children’s perceptions of their route to school
- ENcAPPture Your Voice: Students’ perceptions on how their campus environment influences their decisions to engage in healthy or unhealthy behaviours.
- IPEN Children: International collaboration exploring how neighbourhood walkability affects physical activity.
- Jelleyman C, Edwardson CL, Henson J, Gray LJ, Rowlands AV, Khunti K, Davies MJ & Yates T (2017). Associations of physical activity intensities with markers of insulin sensitivity. Med Sci Sports & Exerc. 49(12): 2451-8
- Jelleyman C, Yates T, O’Donovan G, Gray LJ, King JA, Khunti K & Davies MJ (2015). The effects of high-intensity interval training on glucose regulation and insulin resistance: a meta-analysis. Obesity Reviews. 16(11): 942-61
- Jackson MJ, Fatahi F, Alabduljader K, Jelleyman C, Moore J & Kubis HP (2018). Exercise training and weight loss, not always a happy marriage. Applied Physiology Nutrition & Metabolism. 43(4): 363-370
- Lawley JS, Oliver SJ, Mullins P, Morris D, Junglee NA, Jelleyman C & Macdonald JH (2012). Optic nerve sheath diameter is not related to high altitude headache: a randomized controlled trial. High Altitude Med Biol. 13(3):193-9