Academic Manager, Senior lecturer - Sport & Recreation
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext. 7164
Qualifications:PhD (Deakin University), MSc, (Hons), Grad Dip T. Ed, NZCS (Paramedical)
- Elected Executive Board member of the New Zealand Association for Cooperative Education (President 2017 – current, Vice President 2006-2011).
- Board of Directors for the World Association for Cooperative Education (WACE).
- WACE International Research Group Executive, (Co-Chair Grants and Awards).
- Editorial Board for the International Journal of Work-integrated Learning (previously named Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education).
- Cooperative education and work integrated learning
- Action research and action learning
- Cooperative education and work integrated learning
Research Summary:Dr Jenny Fleming’s research focus is in the specialised field of co-operative education and work integrated learning. Co-operative education is a strategy where students integrate academic learning in the university with time spent in a relevant workplace. Strategically her research moves towards establishing credible qualitative methods of pedagogy development and curriculum design. Her research is relevant to informing practice of all three stakeholders of cooperative education, being industry, students and the university.
Projects have included: Investigation of the pedagogies employed to integrate theory and practice; The influences on student learning in sport cooperative education; Partnerships and relationships in work-integrated learning; Identifying competencies needed by cooperative education students and by graduates to enhance employability; The use of action learning strategies for cooperative education projects; Investigation of how the structure of the placement affects the learning experience.
Jenny has been a reviewer for the following journals: Studies in Higher Education; Asia-pacific Journal of Cooperative Education; Higher Education and Work-based Learning; Journal of Work-Applied Management; International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics.
Current Research Projects:
- Work-integrated learning legacies: building student and supervisor capability. Collaboration with Massey University, University of Waikato and NZ Council for Educational Research.
- Developing a framework for critical success factors for sustainable work-integrated learning relationships. Collaboration with Macquarie University, Australia and University of Waterloo, Canada.
- The transfer of skills and knowledge between universities and the workplace and vice versa. Collaboration with Macquarie University, and Edith Cowan University, Australia.
Publications:Fleming, J., & Haigh, N. J. (2017). Examining and challenging the intentions of work-integrated learning. Higher Education, Skills and Work-Based Learning, 7(2), 198–210. doi:10.1108/HESWBL-01-2017-0003
Helyer, R., & Fleming, J. (2016). Learning in the workplace, globally. In R. Helyer (Ed.), Facilitating Work-based Learning (pp. 191-206). London, England: Palgrave Macmillan Education.
Fleming, J. (2015). Exploring stakeholders' perspectives of the influences on student learning in cooperative education. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 16(2), 109-119.
Fleming, J. (2015). Enhancing cooperative education through action learning projects. In M. Li & Y. Zhao (Eds.), Exploring learning and teaching in higher education. New frontiers in educational research (pp. 171-187). Berlin: Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-55352-3_7
Helyer, R., & Fleming, J. (2015). Workbased learning terminologies. In R. Helyer (Ed.), The Work-based Learning Student Handbook (pp. 278 - 287). London, England: Palgrave Macmillan Education
Fleming, J. (2014). Exploring stakeholders' perspectives of cooperative education in sport tertiary education (Doctoral Thesis, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia).
Fleming, J., & Hickey, C. (2013). Exploring cooperative education partnerships: A case study in sport tertiary education. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 14(3), 209-221.
Lucas, P & Fleming J., (2012). Reflection in sport and recreation cooperative education: Journals or blogs? Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 13, (1), 55-64.
Fleming, J. M., & Ferkins, L. (2011). Cooperative education and work-integrated education in sports studies. In R. K. Coll, & K. E. Zegwaard (Eds.), International Handbook for Cooperative Education and Work-Integrated Education: International perspectives of theory, research and practice. (2nd ed., pp. 179-187).
Fleming, J., & Ferkins, L. (2010). The use of action learning strategies for cooperative education or work integrated learning projects. Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 4 (1), 100-103.
Martin, A., & Fleming, J. (2010). Cooperative education in outdoor education. Australian Journal of Outdoor Education, 14(1), 41-48.
Martin, A., Fleming, J., Ferkins, L., Wiersma, C., & Coll, R. K. (2010). Facilitating and integrating learning within sport studies cooperative education: Exploring the pedagogies employed by students, academics and workplace supervisors. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education, 9(1), 24-38.
Fleming, J., Martin, A., Hughes, H., & Zinn, C. (2009). Maximizing Work Integrated Learning Experiences Through Identifying Graduate Competencies for Employability: A Case Study of Sport Studies in Higher Education. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 10(3), 189-201.
Coll, R.K., Eames, C., Paku, L., Lay, M., , Hodges, D., Bhat,R., Ram, S., Ayling, D., Fleming, J., Ferkins, L., Wiersma, C., & Martin, A. J. (2009). An exploration of the pedagogies employed to integrate knowledge in work-integrated learning. Journal of Cooperative Education and Internships, 43, (1), 14-35.
Ferkins, L., & Fleming J., (2007). Action Learning in Sport Cooperative Education. Journal of Cooperative Education and Internships, 41 (2),45-51.
Fleming. J., & Martin. A. (2007). Facilitating Reflective Learning Journeys in Sport Cooperative Education. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education, 6 (2) 1.15-121.
Fleming, J., & Ferkins, L. (2006). Enhancing student employability: A New Zealand case study of cooperative education in sport. In N. Becket & P. Kemp (Eds.), Enhancing graduate employability in business and management, leisure, sport and tourism, Newbury, U.K:Threshold Press, Newbury, 98-105.
Fleming, J. & Ferkins, L. (2005). Cooperative education in sport: Building our knowledgebase. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education, 4 (1), 41-47.
Fleming, J. & Eames, C. (2005). Student learning in relation to the structure of the cooperative experience. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 6 (2), 26 - 31.
Fleming, J. & Walton, J. (2004). Sport and recreation cooperative education projects: A medium for teaching and learning ethical principles. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 5(1),45 - 49.
- AUT Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences Teaching -Research Nexus Award (2015)
- Vice Chancellors staff Doctoral completion award (2013)
- AUT Learning and Teaching Fellowship (2012)
- Leadership Award (School of Sport and Recreation, 2009)
- North Shore Women Educator of the Year Award Finalist (NZ Federation of Graduate Women, 2006)
- Academic Leadership Award (School of Sport and Recreation, 2005)
- AUT Chancellors Publication Award, (2003)