Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand (SPRINZ) Professor - Exercise Physiology
Phone: + 64 9 921 9999 x 7056
17 Antares Place
Private Bag 92006
Internal Mail Code: P-1
QualificationsPhD (Sheffield), BSc (Teesside), PGCert Ed (Leeds Met)
• Associate Editor, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
- Exercise Physiology
- Athletic Conditioning
- Exercise Science
- Training strategies to enhance the performance of endurance runners
- Metabolic conditioning and assessment approaches for team sports
- Running economy and distance running
- Effects of dietary manipulation and ergogenic aids on endurance performance
- Aerobic exercise and its effect on health outcomes in clinical and at-risk populations
Research SummaryMy research interests are primarily focused on developing and assessing ways to enhance endurance (aerobic) performance – both in individual sports such as running, cycling and triathlon, but also in team sport athletes. I also have an interest in applying the principles of effective training strategies adopted by athletes to clinical and at-risk populations.
Current Research Projects
- Assessment and monitoring approaches in middle-distance running
- Priming exercise, muscle stiffness and running economy
- Wearable resistance garments and endurance performance
- Heat acclimation strategies to maximize military specific exercise performance
- Effects of varying carbohydrate availability on endurance performance
Peer Reviewed Articles (a selection only)
- Harris, N., Kilding, AE, Sethi, S., Merien, F., Gottschall, J (2019). A comparison of the acute physiological responses to BODYPUMP™ versus iso-caloric and iso-time steady state cycling. J Sci Med Sport. 2018 Mar 2. pii: S1440-2440(18)30062-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2018.02.010. [Epub ahead of print]
- Casadio, JR., Storey, AG., Merien, F., Kilding, AE., Cotter, JD., Laursen, PB. (2017). Acute effects of heated resistance training in female and male power athletes. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 117(10):1965-1976.
- Plews, DJ., Scott, B., Altini, M., Wood, M., Kilding, AE., and Laursen, PB (2017). Comparison of heart rate variability recording with smart phone photoplethysmographic, Polar H7 chest strap and electrocardiogram methods. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance,1;12(10):1324-1328
- McQuillan, JA., Fletcher, DK., Laursen, PB., and Kilding, AE. (2017). Dietary Nitrate Fails to Improve 1 and 4km Cycling Performance in Highly-Trained Cyclists, Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 27(3):255-263
- Maunder, E, Kilding, A.E and Cairns, S (2017). Do Fast Bowlers Fatigue In Cricket: A Paradox Between Player Anecdotes And Quantitative Evidence. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 12(6):719-72
- Rogers, S., Whatman, C., Pearson, and Kilding, A.E (2017). Assessments of mechanical stiffness and relationships to performance determinants in middle-distance runners. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 1;12(10):1329-1334.
- Maunder, E. Laursen, PB, Kilding, AE. (2016). Effect of ad Libitum Ice-Slurry and Cold-Fluid Ingestion on Cycling Time-Trial Performance in the Heat. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 12, 1. 99-105.
- McQuillan, J. A., Dulson, D. K., Laursen, P. B., & Kilding, A. E. (2016). The effect of dietary nitrate supplementation on physiology and performance in trained cyclists. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 1-22. doi:10.1123/ijspp.2016-0202
- Weatherwax, R., Harris. N., Kilding, AE; Dalleck, L. (2016). The Incidence of Training Responsiveness to Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Cardiometabolic Measurements Following Individualized and Standardized Exercise Prescription: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Trials, 17: 601. doi:10.1186/s13063-016-1735-0
- Casadio, JR., Kilding, AE., Siegel, R., Cotter, J and Laursen, PB. (2016). Periodizing heat acclimation in elite Laser sailors preparing for a World Championship event in hot conditions. TEMPERATURE, 3, 3, 437-443, DOI:10.1080/23328940.2016.1184367
- Kilding, A.E., Dobson, B., Ikeda, E. (2016). Effects of acute intermittent hypoxia on physiology and performance in team sports players. JSCR, doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001301
- Keogh, J.W.L, Palmer, B.R. Taylor, D. and Kilding, A.E (2015). ACE and UCP2 gene polymorphisms and their association with baseline and exercise-related changes in the functional performance of older adults. PeersJ, 3:e980. doi.org/10.7717/peerj.980.
- Harrison, CB, Gill, ND, Kinugasa, T, and Kilding, AE (2015). Development of Aerobic Fitness in Young Team Sport Athletes. Sports Medicine, 45(7), 969-983
- Oberlin-Brown, KT, Siegel, R, Kilding, AE and Laursen, PB. (2016). Oral Presence of Carbohydrate and Caffeine in Chewing Gum: Independent and Combined Effects on Endurance Cycling Performance. Int J Sports Physiol Perform, 11, 164 - 171
- Schulze E, Daanen HA, Levels K, Casadio JR, Plews DJ, Kilding AE, Siegel R, Laursen PB. (2015).
- Effect of Thermal State and Thermal Comfort on Cycling Performance in the Heat. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 10(5), 655-663
- Barnes KR and Kilding AE. (2015). Strategies to improve running economy. Sports Med, 45(1):37-56. doi: 10.1007/s40279-014-0246-y.
- McIntyre JP and Kilding AE. (2015). Effects of high-intensity intermittent priming on physiology and cycling performance. J Sports Sci, 33(6):561-7. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2014.960882
- Plews DJ, Laursen PB, Kilding AE, Buchheit M (2014). Heart rate variability and training intensity distribution in elite rowers. Int J Sports Physiol Perform, 9(6), 1026-1032.
- Barnes KR, Mcguigan MR, Kilding AE. (2014). Lower-body determinants of running economy in male and female distance runners. J Strength Cond Res, 28(5):1289-97.