Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand (SPRINZ) Associate Professor - Exercise Physiology
Phone: + 64 9 921 9999 x 7056
17 Antares Place
Private Bag 92006
Internal Mail Code: P-1
PhD (Sheffield), BSc (Teesside), PGCert Ed (Leeds Met)
Memberships and Affiliations
• Associate Editor, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
- Exercise Physiology
- Athletic Conditioning
- Exercise Science
- Strategies to enhance the performance of endurance runners
- Pulmonary oxygen uptake kinetics and endurance performance
- Physical and technical demands of team sports
- Assessment and trainability of aerobic function in team sport athletes
- Aerobic exercise and its effect on health outcomes in clinical and at-risk populations
My research interests are primarily focused on developing and assessing ways to enhance endurance (aerobic) performance – both in individual sports such as running, cycling and triathlon, but also in team sport athletes and clinical/at-risk populations.
Current Research Projects
- Muscle stiffness and running economy in middle-distance runners
- Development of small-sided games for young female footballers
- Acute effects of exercise type on arterial health
- Optimal heat acclimation strategies to maximize sprint-endurance performance
- Effects of varying carbohydrate availability on endurance performance
- Caffeine supplementation and immune responses to exercises
Peer Reviewed Articles (a selection only)
- Schulze E, Daanen HA, Levels K, Casadio JR, Plews DJ, Kilding AE, Siegel R, Laursen PB. (2015). Effect of Thermal State and Thermal Comfort on Cycling Performance in the Heat. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2015 Jan 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Barnes KR and Kilding AE. (2015). Strategies to improve running economy. Sports Med, 45(1):37-56. doi: 10.1007/s40279-014-0246-y.
- McIntyre JP and Kilding AE. (2015). Effects of high-intensity intermittent priming on physiology and cycling performance. J Sports Sci, 33(6):561-7. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2014.960882
- Barnes KR, Mcguigan MR, Kilding AE. (2014). Lower-body determinants of running economy in male and female distance runners. J Strength Cond Res, 28(5):1289-97.
- Bini, R.R, Hume, P.A., Croft, J., Kilding, A.E. (2014). Optimizing Bicycle Configuration and Cyclists’ Body Position to Prevent Overuse Injury Using Biomechanical Approaches. Biomechanics of Cycling, pp 71-83. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-05539-8_8
- William, J, Abt, G, Kilding, A.E (2014). Effects of Creatine Monohydrate Supplementation on Simulated Soccer Performance. Int J Sports Physiol Perform 2014 Jan 15. Epub 2014 Jan 15.
- Barnes, K., Hopkins, W.G., McGuigan, M. and Kilding, A.E. (2014). Warm-up with a weighted vest improves running performance via leg stiffness and running economy. J Sci Med Sport. 2014 Jan 2. pii: S1440-2440(13)00522-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2013.12.005. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bini, R.R, Hume, P.A., Kilding, A.E. (2014). Saddle Height Effects On Pedal Forces, Joint Mechanical Work And Kinematics Of Cyclists And Triathletes. European Journal of Sport Sciences, 14(1):44-52. doi: 10.1080/17461391.2012.725105.
- Plews D.J., Laursen P.B., Kilding, A.E., Buchheit, M. (2013). Evaluating training adaptation with heart rate measures: a methodological comparison. Int Journal of Sports Physiol and Perf, 8(6):688-91.
- Harrison, C.B., Kilding, A.E., Gill, N.D., Kinugasa, T. (2013). Small-sided games for young athletes: Is game specificity influential? J Sports Sci. 2013 Sep 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lythe, J. and Kilding. A.E (2013). The effect of substitution frequency on the physical and technical outputs of strikers during field hockey match play. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 13, 848-859.
- Barnes, K., McGuigan, M. and Kilding, A.E. (2013). Lower Body Determinants of Running Economy in Male and Female Distance Runners. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Epub ahead of print http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/publishahead/Lower_Body_Determinants_of_Running_Economy_in_Male.97634.aspx
- Barnes, K., Hopkins, W.G., McGuigan, M. and Kilding, A.E. (2013). Effects of different uphill interval-training programs on running economy and performance. Int Journal of Sports Physiol and Perf, 8(6):639-647.
- Barnes, K., Hopkins, W.G., McGuigan, M. and Kilding, A.E. (2013). Effects of resistance training on running economy and cross-country performance Med Sci Sport Ex, [Epub ahead of print] http://dx.doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e31829af603.
- Plews D.J., Laursen P.B., Stanley, J., Kilding, A.E., Buchheit, M. (2013). Training adaptation and heart rate variability in elite endurance athletes: Opening the door to effective monitoring. Sports Medicine 43(9):773-781.
- Harrison, C.B., Gill, N.D., Kinugasa, T., Kilding, A.E. (2013). Quantification of physiological, movement, and technical outputs during a novel small-sided game in young team sport athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 27(10):2861-2868
- Bini, R.R, Hume, P.A., Croft, J., Kilding, A.E. (2013). Pedal Force Effectiveness in Cycling: A Review Of Constraints and Training Effects. Journal of Science and Cycling, 2, 1:11-24.