SPRINZ Research Associate Strength and Conditioning
Phone: 021 638 466
17 Antares Place
Private Bag 92006
- Philosophical Doctorate
- Master of Philosophy
- Master of Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry Level 1
- USA Weightlifting Level 1 Sports Performance Coach
Memberships and Affiliations
- North Sport Olympic Weightlifting - President
- 3D Muscle Journey LLC - Co-founder and Coach
- Monthly Applications in Strength Sport LLC - Co-founder and Contributor
- FitGenie LLC Co-founder and Chief Advisor
- National Strength and Conditioning Association – member
- USA Weightlifting - member
- NZ Powerlifting Federation - member
Eric has been a trainer and nutrition coach since the early 2000’s, working in the military, studio, gyms, medical and S&C sectors. Currently, he coaches a handful of drug free strength and physique athletes through 3D Muscle Journey LLC which he co-founded in 2009. Eric spends most of his time producing video and written content on nutrition, resistance training, and coaching psychology specifically for the drug-free lifting community.
He is the co-founder of and regular contributor to the Monthly Applications in Strength Sport research review and he is the author of the Muscle & Strength Nutrition and Training Pyramids books. Additionally, he is an active researcher in the areas of maximum strength development, fat loss, hypertrophy and competitive physique and strength sport.
He acts as an educator not only as a SPRINZ research associate, but also as a content creator for the SBS Academy and the Holistic Performance Institute
- Strength and Conditioning
- Sports Nutrition
- Maximum strength development
- fat loss
- hypertrophy and competitive physique and strength sport.
Current Research Projects
Eric has two ongoing current primary research branches:
- the manipulation of protein and macronutrients to optimize body composition and performance in strength and physique athletes
- methods of autoregulating resistance training performance to enhance maximum strength and hypertrophy.
- Helms ER, Aragon AA, and Fitschen PJ. Evidence-based recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: nutrition and supplementation. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 11: 20, 2014.
- Helms ER, Storey A, Cross MR, Brown SR, Lenetsky S, Ramsay H, Dillen C, Zourdos MC. RPE and velocity relationships for the back squat, bench press, and deadlift in powerlifters. Journal of strength and conditioning research 31(2):292-297, 2016.
- Helms ER, Brown SR, Cross MR, Storey A, Cronin J, and Zourdos MC. Self-rated Accuracy of Rating of Perceived Exertion-based Load Prescription in Powerlifters, Journal of strength and conditioning research. Published ahead of print, 2017.
- Helms ER,Cross MR, Brown SR, Storey A, Cronin J, and Zourdos MC. Rating of Perceived Exertion as a Method of Volume Autoregulation Within a Periodized Program. Journal of strength and conditioning research. Published ahead of print, 2017.
- Helms ER, Fitschen PJ, Aragon AA, Cronin J, and Schoenfeld BJ. Recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: resistance and cardiovascular training. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 55: 164-178, 2015.
- Helms ER, Zinn C, Rowlands DS, and Brown SR. A systematic review of dietary protein during caloric restriction in resistance trained lean athletes: a case for higher intakes. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 24: 127-138, 2014.
- Helms ER, Zinn C, Rowlands DS, Naidoo R, and Cronin J. High-protein, low-fat, short-term diet results in less stress and fatigue than moderate-protein moderate-fat diet during weight loss in male weightlifters: a pilot study. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 25: 163-170, 2015.
- Zourdos MC, Klemp A, Dolan C, Quiles JM, Schau KA, Jo E, Helms E, Esgro B, Duncan S, Garcia Merino S, and Blanco R. Novel Resistance Training-Specific Rating of Perceived Exertion Scale Measuring Repetitions in Reserve. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30: 267-275, 2016.
- Glassbrook DJ, Brown SR, Helms ER, Duncan SJ, Storey AG. The high-bar and low-bar back-squats: A biomechanical analysis. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Published ahead of print, 2017.
- Fairman CM, Zourdos MC, Helms ER, Focht BC. A Scientific Rationale to Improve Resistance Exercise Recommendations in Exercise Oncology. Sports Medicine. Published ahead of print, 2017.
- Phillips SM, Aragon AA, Arciero PJ, Arent SM, Close GL, Hamilton DL, Helms ER, Henselmans M, Loenneke JP, Norton LE, Ormsbee MJ, Sale C, Schoenfeld BJ, Smith, Ryan AE, Tipton KD, Vukovich MD, Wilborn C, Willoughby DS. Changes in body composition and performance with supplemental HMB-FA+ATP. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Published ahead of print, 2017.
- Brown SR, Feldman ER, Cross MR, Helms ER, Marrier B, Samozino P, Morin JB. The Potential for a Targeted Strength Training Programme to Decrease Asymmetry and Increase Performance: A Proof-of-Concept in Sprinting. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. Published ahead of print, 2017.
- Chatterton S, Zinn C, Storey AG, Helms ER. The effect of an 8-week LCHF diet in sub-elite Olympic weightlifters and powerlifters on strength and power performance: A pilot case-study. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning. Published ahead of print, 2017.
- Glassbrook DJ, Helms ER, Brown SR, Storey AG. A review of biomechanical and muscle activity differences between the high-bar and low-bar back-squat. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Published ahead of print, 2017.
- Morton RW, Murphy KT, McKellar SR, Schoenfeld BJ, Henselmans M, Helms E, Aragon AA, Devries MC, Banfield L, Krieger JW, Phllips SM. A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength. British Journal of Sports Medicine. Published ahead of print, 2017.